Project hosting thoughts

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Nov 17 12:41:52 UTC 2006

Last night I decided I wanted more of a project presence for pungi than an hg
web interface.  So I started exploring options.  108 was a disaster, I spent
30 minutes trying to find where to start a project, only to find out that
there is no way to find that out, you have to ask somebody and then get
direct URLS that aren't linked anywhere.  Plus 108 doesn't support hg.  So I
went looking to setup my own software, because damned if I'm going to use
Sourceforge, or anything based on it.

Trac software has been around for a while, and I've stumbled across a few
projects using it.  Reading up on their website http://trac.edgewall.org/ the
trac feature list looked pretty neat.  More interestingly each project within
a trac environment can have its own source control mechanism, and the have
support for cvs, svn, hg, bzr, darcs, and an experimental git.  The git
support isn't all that great, but really, what the SCM support does is just
provide a web view of the files.  The more important thing is that you could
get one of these source control repos at project creation time to do with as
you see fit.

Other things I like about trac, the wiki component uses the same markup (or
seems to thus far) as MoinMoin.  This will make it very easy to take content
from a project and move it into the Fedora wiki should the need/desire arise.
Also users wouldn't have to learn yet another markup language.  The ticketing
system is pretty simple and easy to use, wiki markup language works here too
should you want it.  Tickets can easily be set to block Milestones, and a
Milestone view shows you the list of milestones and an easy view to see what
tickets are blocking a milestone, or how many blockers have been fixed (and
thus how close a milestone is to completion).  There is also a 'timeline'
view that shows you a running history of project activity, such as wiki
edits, ticket creation/resolution, scm checkins, etc... with rss capability.
This would make it very easy to aggregate and track the progress of a
project.

Some things that I'd like to see investigated:

  How decent is the support for multiple projects using one trac install?

  Can we use the Fedora account system as a web authentication (trac just uses
web auth as far as I can tell)

  How easy is it to create a web 'project creation' page that would handle the
initial setup of a project?

As a proof of concept, is there any way I can make use of a xen guest to setup
a trac instance for pungi?  Some of the problems with using Trac would
involve that it has to be installed on the same system as the SCM (at least
for hg and git) or else regular syncs would have to be made with the actual
scm location.  But honestly this might not be so bad to separate out
our 'hosted' project SCMs from our Fedora SCMs.  Trac would run just fine on
CentOS/RHEL4 but would also work on FC6 for a xen guest (much like
CentOS/RHEL5)  If we do setup a xen guest with a public IP, can we also set
it to something like 'hosted.fedoraproject.org' ?

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora