OpenSUSE Build Service?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat Nov 18 14:56:27 UTC 2006

Once upon a time Saturday 18 November 2006 6:55 am, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Jeroen Janssen schrieb:
> > I'm not sure if this is the correct Fedora mailinglist, but has anyone
> > had a look at the OpenSuSe Build Service pages (
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service )?
>
> I posted some thoughts some days ago here:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2006-November/msg0012
>4.html
>
> > Is this something that also could benefit the Fedora Project?
>
> I don't think so. I think we should make Fedora
> {Core,Extras,Alternatives,Legacy,Whatever} so good and flexible that
> something like that is not needed normally. Just my 2 cent.

Additionally  from what i saw  of what they were wanting to offer  you would
submit a tarball  select  what you wanted a rpm for and it would go and build
it.   that scares me as it is  not a reproducible build.  i.e.  what voodoo
did they do to get it built and to get you a spec file.

Last i looked at a SuSE spec file i cried.  it was extremely ugly.  they have
zero BuildRequires in there spec.  they are relying on voodoo in their
buildsys to bring in the necessary BuildRequires.

Maybe i'm wrong, i have not been following the service  just going from what i
remember reading.

Dennis