[Fedora-infrastructure-list] release days docs/instructions/faq

Stacy J. Brandenburg sbranden at redhat.com
Tue Oct 24 23:33:09 UTC 2006

I *MIGHT* be able to get a dedicated 11503 Cisco Content Switch for use
as a LB if you want.  I can make no guarantees of its success under the
onslaught, but it is better than a kick in the butt.

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 10/24/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 17:19 -0400, Stacy J. Brandenburg wrote:
>> Here's what we talked about on IRC:
>
> I agree with this in theory, implementation will be complex though.
>

>> 1. get the websites and docs people to split out a structure in the wiki
>> that is the final release lay out. This will be frozen N days prior to
>> release and static pages will be generated. This static content will be
>> fedoraproject.org/
>>

> +1
>

>> 2. the static content will get mirrored to a new set of mirrors in the
>> world that we will recruit people into. These will be simple http-only
>> mirrors.
>>

> if its our infrastructure it might be a good idea to do a nightly sync
> of the actual fp.o wiki incase the main server goes down.
>
>> 3. fedoraproject.org can be globally load balanced using (more or less)
>> dns round robin (more robust mechanisms are welcome)
>
> I don't know of any good way to do this.
>

>> 4. we make the wiki server multiple and redundant by making use of
>> multiple machines.
>>

>> So that would mean we get:
>>  1. more capacity for the wiki server
>>  2. global capacity for the front page and key pages for a release
>>  3. network/site redundancy.
>>

>> -sv
>
> I'm wondering if we could just request some budget from max and the RH
> folks to grab some public mirrors during release time.  I mean,
> digg.com has a dugmirrors site for hosts they DDOS, I believe other
> such services exist as well.  I'm just trying to think of the easiest
> solution for our needs.  It'd be nice to just say:
>
> 1. Freeze the wiki
> 2. sync the mirrors
> 3. cross fingers
> 4. enjoy the FC7 release instead of working all day :)
>
>             -Mike

- --
= Stacy J. Brandenburg                    Red Hat Inc. =
= Manager, Network Operations      sbranden at redhat.com =
= 919-754-4313                   http://www.redhat.com =

Fingerprint
03F7 43BE 1150 CCFA F57B 54DD AEDB 1C27 1828 D94D