sponsored vs volunteers

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 03:35:56 UTC 2007

> Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger at gmail.com) said:
> > I'm usually of the opinion that more information is better as long as it
> > doesn't compromise someone's privacy.  If this is optional information
> > it probably wouldn't violate that principle.  I could see this kind of
> > data being useful for things like:
> >
> > 1) Estimating how much of an investment companies besides Red Hat have
> > in Fedora.
>
> However, if it's only optional...
>
> > 2) Having figures on community contributors to post as part of a reply
> > to "Fedora is RHEL Beta".
>
> It leaves out so many ways that people can be part of the community...
>
> ... write docs for Fedora
> ... do artwork for Fedora
> ... do testing of Fedora
> ... port Fedora to other platforms
> ... contribute patches to Fedora
> ... do upstream development with/on Fedora
> ... maintain systems for Fedora
>
> I'm not saying that collecting these metrics, or things like Warren's
> different-levels-of-packaging proposal aren't something that can be
> useful. But I'd like us to think how we can somehow collect stats
> that somehow encompass the entirety of someone's contributions.

Oh yeah!  Now you're talking :-).  I would really love to be able to hit
a web page enter someone's name and get a list of all their
contributions to Fedora.  Some nice summaries and graphs (% patches
accepted into the  package; % Fedora contribution in each
subproject,...)  It would be an interesting cross with social networking
to see how projects you work on intersect with projects that other
Fedora Contributors work on.  Hmmm... I work on the Turbogears package
and Luke Macken works on TurboGears.  Luke works on Fedora
Infrastructure projects.  Wow, Infrastructure is using TurboGears all
over the place!  I think I should sign up to help out there!

-Toshio