Email Addresses (Revisited)

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 13:58:23 UTC 2007

So this thread kind of got forgotten about without any action.  Here's
where it left off.

current situation:
User signs up and gets account at fp.o and firstname.lastname at fp.o

The problem:
accounts are unique but firstname.lastname is not.  This causes
collisions.
Firstname.Lastname may (and currently does) contain characters that
postfix and sendmail freak out about.

Secondary problem:
People think firstname.lastname sounds professional while
accountname at fp.o may not.

I'd like to move forward with removing the firstname.lastname addresses
after sending out a notification.  Secondary issues aside, our current
model can't work forever and already causes some issues.

Are there any major detractors?