FAS DB -- domain change

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 08:33:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 09:56 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 06:14:18PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > Currently, the FAS DB has a field for domains::
> >
> > CREATE TABLE role (
> >   person_id INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES person (id),
>
>   ON DELETE ??? ON UPDATE ???
>
>  :-)

I think postgres default is to prevent a delete or update when there's a
foreign key constraint that would be invalidated by the change.  I
haven't considered what's optimal... see note below.

> >   project_group_id INTEGER NOT NULL REFERENCES project_group (id),
> >   --- role_domain would be relevant for limiting the person to a
> > specific portion of the project,
> >   --- e.g. '/rpms/util-linux'
> >   [...]
> >   role_domain VARCHAR(80),
> >
> >   UNIQUE (person_id, project_group_id, role_domain)
> > );
[snip]
>  Why there is not a role_domain table and reference to this table
>  rather than the VARCHAR(80).

Sopwith and Gafton are the ones who know the answers to your
questions :-).  role_domain is currently "" or Null for every record
that we have (Looks to be a feature designed into the db that we've
never used.)  Since we're moving to LDAP for FAS2 (between now and
Fedora 8) I'm trying to keep my changes to the minimum necessary to keep
things working.

-Toshio