Proxy HTTP log policy

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 13:34:55 UTC 2007

Paulo Santos wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Proxy1 and Proxy2 were getting without space, so i took the opportunity to
> run clear up a bit of space...
>
> I've ran this and think we should cron it:
> sudo -u apachelog gzip `sudo -u apachelog find /var/log/httpd/ -mtime +7`
>
> - gzip everything in /var/log/httpd that has more then 7 days
>
> And discuss how many days before they are removed:
> i would say 60 days (tops), unless we can get a data-warehouse collector for
> long term logs.

Ahh yes, So we actually archive these logs onto a different box (where
they are processed for stats and things)  I'd say that its safe to
remove any logs older then 2 weeks.  Gziping them is a good idea but I'd
setup the gzip on the processing box instead (otherwise we end up with
an archive of two versions, the compressed and uncompressed versions.