Introduction

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Aug 22 21:21:25 UTC 2007

  Hi folks!

  As per the "Getting Started" walkthrough, I thought I'd spam you guys
with a brief rundown of who I am, although I'm sure a number of you
already know.
  My name is Patrick Laughton, although most people who know me call me
Jima (yes, IRL, too).  I hail from the Great White North -- Minneapolis,
MN, or thereabouts.  (That's in the Central US time zone, CDT/GMT-5.)
I've been maintaining Linux boxen for maybe ten years, seven of those
professionally.  I started out with Slackware (how's that for cutting your
teeth?), but long ago moved to Red Hat, and then Fedora.

  Like many in Fedora Packager Land, I got started because as a sysadmin,
there were often packages I needed that weren't otherwise easily
available.  So I packaged what I needed, threw them in a repository, and
went on my merry way.  What a pain.
  I joined Fedora Extras about 16 months ago to offset some of that heavy
lifting.  In addition to making sure everything I needed was in Fedora, I
took on some orphaned packages, and generally looked for other ways I
could help out the project.  That's what brings me to Infrastructure; to
see if any of my possibly mediocre skills as a sysadmin might in some way
benefit the bigger picture.

  I'll be up-front: I'm not a programmer.  I can't code worth crap.  I know
a little C (not C++), my perl talents are decent (if sloppy and
roundabout), but I can shell script like mad.
  I'm fairly comfortable with Apache, BIND, dnsmasq, Exim, OpenSSH,
Postfix, and Sendmail.  Okay, if it's a daemon, I'm probably not too bad
with it.  I've played with Nagios and MRTG on and off over the years, as
well.  More recently (in the last year or so) I've gotten fairly good at
working with Xen.  Not KVM, sadly, due to my general lack of machines with
hardware virtualization capabilities.
  My SCM, database, and clustering skills leave a lot to be desired, mainly
because I haven't had any real use for them in my job.  Also, I'm
entirely useless at design, unless you like plain, unformatted text, and
stick figures.  Anything HTML is liable to be compliant, just ugly and/or
boring.

  I don't have any specific goals in mind for getting into Infrastructure;
as I said, I'd be happy to help out with anything that could use some
extra hands.

  I think that pretty well covers things.  Geez, I should have just updated
my resume; it might have been easier, if a little more glossed-over.
  Have a nice day.

      Jima