Moin 1.6 beta.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 19:25:31 UTC 2007

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>
>>> Another idea, what good and bad would come from us upgrading to the 1.6
>>> beta?
>>>

>> What features were you thinking it provides us with?  Better ability to
>> cache pages?
>>

> That, the other thing I'm thinking of is if we're going to start
> patching our instance heavily, perhaps we want to stick with 1.6.  I
> don't necessarily want to upgrade to 1.6 but I do want us to talk about it.

Very good point.  That would definitely be another reason to move to 1.6
so we're closer to the code base that our patches are going to apply to
upstream.

>> Here's another thought:  is it only page saves which are causing us
>> problems?   I think moin has a similar URL for all actions that cause
>> writing to the disk. For instance, saving an edit appears to call
>> PAGENAME#preview and starting an edit uses PAGENAME?action=edit.  Could
>> we cluster just requests to read from the wiki and filter writes to a
>> single app server by using these URLs?
>>

> The page saves are causing our inability to cluster Moin in any
> efficient way.  I've thought about altering proxy location by action,
> that would help with some things but I've yet to set it up and see if it
> works the way we think it will.  (for example, altering the user,
> watched pages, etc are still a question mark in my head).

It looks like subscribing to a page and starting the user preferences
editor via the link in the sidebar can be grabbed via the ?action=
string as well.  Saving of the User Preferences page looks like it
doesn't use a special URL but perhaps sending all POST requests to the
writable server would catch that.

-Toshio