[Fwd: Cron <root at app4> /usr/local/bin/restart-memhogs.sh]

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:22:06 UTC 2007

Looks like smolt is hitting the limit of 700MB pretty easily.  I was
going to up the limit but I found that smolt was timing out even when
running with less than 700MB of memory.  Restarting the server stopped
that from happening.

So one possibility is that once smolt allocates so much memory, some
portion of what it does takes too much time to scan through that memory.
  If that's so we actually want to decrease the amount of memory smolt
can allocate before being restarted.

Another possibility is that the smolt server is getting stuck somewhere
in processing and that's preventing either the smolt server or the
database from processing future sendProfile's correctly.  In this
scenario, restarting the server due to memory usage is fixing this as a
side effect.  We really want to find and fix the bug if this is the case.