Jigdo - A Professional Letter to Mike McGrath

Jonathan Steffan jonathansteffan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 01:22:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 02:05:15 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Question.  Spins.fp.o is mostly about Live images no?  Live images
> > are essentially a big squasfs image wrapped up in an iso with some
> > bootable stuff involved?  How would jigdo possibly help here?
> >

> As Jigdo needs an expanded tree somewhere (online) of the contents of
> an ISO image, so for Live Media, Jigdo isn't a very viable solution.

Well, as I've expressed in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-infrastructure-list/2007-December/msg00023.html
we could make it so jigdo supports sticking data that has been
published to a tree in some form. To generate the jigdo definition, the
squash would need to be opened and the resulting bits would need to be
hashed. Thus, putting the data back together would also involve
creating a squashfs and sticking data into it. I've not looked into
this outside of just conceptual design. If there are any squashfs gurus
that would like to comment, please do.

--
Jonathan Steffan
daMaestro