people.fedoraproject.org

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 04:43:55 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> I don't think anyone is stopping anyone from putting together design
> plans. By all means, do so. The wiki is available if you'd like to put
> together some estimates of what software and hardware requirements will
> be. The only problem is that after you've done that we're still not sure
> if we'll have the hw or the money available to make your designs happen.
> If you're okay with that then please, do start drawing them up. If you
> have other ideas on things we need but might not have the resources for
> right now, bring them up. There's room for this sort of thing, I think.
>
> -sv

Every time this type of request comes up its usually under "wouldn't it
be nice".  We just need someone to take ownership of the project, put
together requirements and be prepared for it to succeed or fail.  I'd
love for us to host a people.fedoraproject.org but we're not in the
business of public hosting.  So the question is, who then?  If we say
someone who's got an account and signed the CLA... then we're saying
everyone.  If we narrow it down we have to decide who using some
arbitrary mechanism.

In this case resource != people.  In this case resources = computers,
storage, redundancy, bandwith, backups, etc.  And I'm not willing to put
all that together so that we can make sure joe blow's vacation photos
get backed up.  If someone needs a place to host source code, artwork
and other things related to the Fedora Project then
hosted.fedoraproject.org is right around the corner.  If someone needs a
place to host "misc digitital data" I don't think thats us right now,
our facilities just aren't there.  But its up to whoever wants to drive
this to figure out what it would take, put a proposal together (of
course we'll all help with this) and present it to us and probably the
board.  But as I said earlier, I'd love to see a people.fedoraproject.org.