Infrastructure Design - Look & Feel

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 02:54:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 21:07 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> - What is packagedb used for? Who uses it? How often is it used for what
> tasks? How public-facing / important / high on the priority-queue is it?

The version of the packagedb that will be out by F7 will be for
packagers, upstream coders, and people who are interested in the
development of a particular piece of software within Fedora.  The idea
is for packagers to be able to change ownership information and set who
has the ability to access the packages they're working on.  People
besides the packager can sign up to be notified about changes to
packages or just browse the package listings if they're so inclined.

Post-F7, the development will have two thrusts:
1) Integration with Koji.  The idea is for Koji and and the packagedb to
have one database that knows about all the packages built in Fedora.
The GUI's and CLI tools are tentatively supposed to be merged as well,
but I don't know enough about Koji to say whether that makes sense.

2) Development of a view of packages a la Debian, Gentoo, Fedora
Repoview that let's end users browse and search the packages in Fedora.
Links to these are listed off of the current packageDB front page:
   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/

There's a bunch of other items that people want in it:
  http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/PackageDatabase

but I haven't fit them into the grand scheme of things yet.

> - Voting system - where is this right now? How often is it used / what
> kind of votes is it used for / who uses it?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/voting

But it doesn't let you have access to a ballot unless you are in a group
that has a current election.  Here's a screenshot of its only
interesting screen:
  http://www.tiki-lounge.com/~toshio/fedora/election.png

The voting application is used for voting for the various Fedora
Steering Committees.  In the future it might be enhanced to include
referendums as well but that's not currently possible.  So far we've had
three elections that have used it.

There's some plans for enhancing the voting app at the bottom of:
  http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy/FESCoElections
which includes allowing people to see information about past elections,
scheduled election, having multiple elections on one ballot, etc.  But
due to its relative low priority no work has been done on this yet.

Thanks,
Toshio