RFR: GIT Package VCS

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 8 01:18:03 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 21:02:49 Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > > * How do we enable downstreams to take our bits, track them and make
> > > changes as they need/want?
> > > * How do we better enable a user who has a problem with something we
> > > ship to be able to fix it themselves and get the fix back to us?
>
> stuff snipped.
>
> > o Do we want to move to a process where code is just in a repo and it's
> > built automatically instead of source + patches + spec file?
>
> I am on fumes as I said.. but I do not see how the last 2 points above
> from Jeremy can be done with this one. Do you have an idea or is this
> something that is blindingly obvious?

<strawman>
We have two things for the upstream in our package SCM.  We have the prestine
tarball stashed away in a lookaside, and we have an exploaded tree of the
source.  We use the exploaded tree of the source to manage our patches to
that source and to help with rebases.  However the patches we manage always
apply to the prestine point.  At package build time, the patches we manage +
the spec file + the prestine tarball stashed away are combined to make an
srpm, and that is shoved through the build system.
</strawman>

In this case, the exploaded source services us as a better way to manage our
patches and to help with rebasing.  It also provides a service to upstreams
so that they can easily cherry pick our patches out of the exploaded source,
same with downstreams, and same with somebody playing at home.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora