Fedora 7 Upgrade

Freddie Rosario frosario777 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 18:53:14 UTC 2007

I agree with Jesse. We should keep to a more stable platform with fewer
updates for production servers. As far as eating our own dog food. I think
this is also necessary in order to ensure that we are familiar with the same
sort of problems that our users face. The happy medium here might be run
Fedora 7 in a virtual machine and have that available when we want to test a
feature/service for that OS, but ensure that domain 0 is run by RHEL/CentOS.
Just my 2 cents. :)

On 6/9/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 09 June 2007 02:48:05 jose manimala wrote:
> > Would'nt it be a good idea to make respins of the fedora core 7 for
> > internal use. Like For app servers we can have a permanent set of
> > features and for test servers we can have another. there will be too
> > many respins but it will make it easier later on in the future when we
> > can just upgrade a respin to newer versions. That way we can avoid
> > RHEL as such and run Fedora on all systems. I dont know but i seem to
> > prefer Fedora over RHEL. There might still be some packages that are
> > proprietary.... that will be the only problem faced is it not.....
> > just a suggestion
> >

> Respins aren't really that useful in this context.  We can easily choose
> what
> we want to install, and we can easily apply the updates either during or
> after install.  A respin won't help us in these manners.  What we don't
> like
> about Fedora is there is not really any attempt to keep a non abi changing
> platform, the updates are fast and loose, and the distribution releases
> get
> flushed quickly.
>
> Fedora is great for short term or developmental servers, whereas
> RHEL/CentOS
> is far more suited for long term production environments.
>
> --
> Jesse Keating
> Release Engineer: Fedora

--Freddie