Upgrade metrics

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 15:51:25 UTC 2007

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:54 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> The problem with the smolt numbers is that anyone doing kickstarts,
>> installing via runlevel 3, yum upgrades or anaconda upgrades will
>> never
>> get prompted to enable smolt and there are privacy concerns just
>> enabling it by default.  So I think the only way we can do it is
>> start
>> to seed people now, get the word out about smolt, and start
>> monitoring
>> upgrades from F7 to F8 and so on.
>>

> What happens in the case that the network stuff isn't up when smolt runs
> during startup?  Did it end up being able to wait for the network and
> queue it for later?  I'm a little surprised that the number of units
> that we have is as small as it is, and how few of them are laptops.  Or
> maybe it's just that our support for laptops is so bad that no one is
> bothering anymore. :)

It keeps trying as best as it can until network comes up.  If all that
fails (say a reboot is required before network comes up) the monthly
smolt checkin will start up and we'll get them a month after they
install.  The monthly checkin will also let us do queries on 'active'
users say people that have submitted in the last 6 months or 12 months.

> Would be nice to move smolt out of just the firstboot and do some user
> surveys as well, but I guess we haven't speced that out and haven't had
> time to do the work to make that happen.

Well we do have smoltGui available and we're working on adding a rating
system for the entire profile as well as individual devices.  The
question is how to get people to run it.