Fedora Magazine RFR

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 18 18:26:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:08 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > I would like to add a +1 on this.
> >
> > Listen I realize that having flash will enhance how it is perceived
> > and will allow more editorial control on layout. However, it would
> > seem to undercut the core message of Fedora == Freedom. If you have to
> > use propietary authoring controls to create that message... you have
> > weakened the message.
> >
> > Until gnash (or something equivalnet) is shipped core in Fedora.. I
> > would be concerned that any official Fedora product should be able to
> > be used with only a Core product.
>
> +10.
>
> And let's not even START about the section 508 and flash issues.
>
> seriously, friends don't let friends use flash.

A lot of what Flash can do can be done in SVG if you have a modern
browser (FF 1.5+, dunno about the status of IE).  Recently Nicu Buculei
posted a demonstration web site done entirely in SVG[1].  Not that I'd
really recommend it though, but it shows the power of SVG.  The Totem
Mozilla plugin does an excellent job of displaying embedded video as
well.

Even if gnash or swfdec become part of Fedora, they will always be
playing "catch up" with a proprietary standard controlled by a
commercial company.

[1] http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2007/06/authoring-svg-websites-with-inkscape.html

Jeff