Our SCM

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 20:06:52 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> So I was wondering if it might be possible to reverse the model a bit.
> Why not make it so our buildsys and related pieces can easily pull from
> upstream's scm's.

This seems to be the best way to take advantage of distributed SCM's to
me, and it allows for having one less resource to manage (i.e. Fedora
CVS).   Right now, I find Fedora CVS a bit annoying as, well, it means
using yet-another-version control repository -- and lots of seperate
checkins when I want to push content to 3 seperate repos.

However it does rely on the accessibility of those upstream repos.
Shouldn't be a major issue.  If it's down, no updates.

Branching is one way to tackle this, though I'd really prefer tags.

For each release, the user could log in and specify what tag to build
from where.
That way I could build the same arbitrary tag identically for FC-6,
FC-7, and devel ... if I want.

Which, being upstream and relatively not-caring about the differences
between those distros as my source repository already takes care of
that, that's usually what I want.

Seems like this could be very slow for the build system, though.

Alternatively, I'd like the same features and be able to push my
repository to the Fedora server.    Either way, something more flexible
and quicker to use would be
welcome.

--Michael