ticket system comments

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 18:09:54 UTC 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 13:31:29 Nils Breunese wrote:
> That's true, but a ticket system will tell you what issues are still
> unhandled, whereas email does not.

As much as I don't like the mailing list idea, I think Seth is right in that
it's up to the person handling the task.  Whether they remark in the ticket
that they are handling it, or post a quick reply to the list that they are
handling it, they still have to do /something/ before the rest of us know
that they're handling it.

> > The only guarantee is that someone is watching their email. Same as
> > with
> > the ticket system, really.
>
> But someone could be watching either the ticket system (or the
> mailinglist if we go with that) and maybe notify people to make sure
> at least the most important issues get handled or something. I think
> the ticket system is currently not working for FI because nobody is/
> feels responsible for what goes on in there. I don't know if the
> mailinglist/Bugzilla hybrid will improve this situation.

I don't consider our current ticketing system an option.  My only suggested
alternative to what Seth is proposing and what we have is to create a Trac
instance for Fedora Infrastructure.  Within we could use the ticketing system
for a variety of purposes.  Logging actual issues/bugs, requesting tasks of
people, etc..  We can use milestones for tracking bigger projects like
builder OS refreshes, preparing for a new release, etc..  We can just not use
the wiki system as we already have fp.o/wiki, and we can still have the
ticket entries go to a mailing list, we get rss feeds, and we prevent spam as
only valid FAS accounts can login to create new tickets.

But as Seth stats, this may be overkill for just the trouble/task ticketing.
Once you view what /else/ could be done with the Trac space then it is
somewhat compelling to make use of it for trouble/task ticketing too.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora