Our SCM

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 22:56:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 15:31 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> :) I think this thread took a spin away from the Infrastructure SCM
> and on to something else.

<pedant>
Well, actually, you know, I was specifically, yes, hmm, on target, hmm?

> Karsten Wade wrote:

> > On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 16:01 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >

> >> I'd really like there to be offline support in a manner that allows
> >> non-commiters to be able to clone, modify, and provide a repo back to us that
> >> we can pull from.
> >>

> > +1
> >
> > I think the barrier described earlier is worse than we realize.  It may
> > seem like delving into technical details, but actually "centralized v.
> > distributed VCS" is actually a strategic question.

[Snip reasons why it matters to think about this strategically]

My whole point was that it _did_ matter enough to have "distributed VCS"
be a specific feature request.  Which DVCS wasn't the point.

Also, to Blizzard's other points, this is entirely a Band-Aid(tm) in the
longer scheme of things.  But even when you fall down on your face, as
long as you fall in the direction you want to go, you are making
progress.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project