Fedora 7 Upgrade

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 17:28:09 UTC 2007

Paulo Santos wrote:
> I would also prefer to standardize everything, unless necessary.
> But for now Glezos requests that publictest4 be upgraded to F7, since he
> needs some packages that exist in F7 and not in FC6.

Items like this will always come up.  It seems the general feel is to
move towards the most recent RHEL version.  Unfortunately RHEL doesn't
always do what we want it to (which is why we also have production FC
boxes).

Its been an unspoken rule I guess to use RHEL when possible and to use
Fedora when we need Fedora's features.  I have a feeling we'll always be
running Fedora in production for our application servers, that's not a
bad thing at all.  But as far as managing risk (which, at the end of the
day, is what this is all about) we just have to be smart about the
decisions we make.  Upgrading publictest4 isn't a problem at all.  But
when Glezos's project is ready to be published to the world we'll have
to make sure we either A) test our current FC6 boxes for an upgrade or
B) Move all our FC6 stuff to RHEL and then start over with some F7 boxes.