Fedora Magazine RFR

Jasper, Brandon R CTN2 NSSC BANGOR WA, NSSC Bangor N621 brandon.jasper at navy.mil
Fri Jun 22 17:05:13 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-infrastructure-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-infrastructure-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of
Anand Capur
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 20:53
To: fedora-infrastructure-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Fedora Magazine RFR

	Well I've had my own job to take care of but I've been keeping
up with the
	list.  I can't tell you how much of a pain it is to try to send
a file
	update to a unit over a 2.4kbs satellite channel particularly
when they
	can't stay at periscope depth for any period of time to download
a 4mb
	file... Had to break it up into a lot of very small zip files.

	I do like the idea of a Fedora magazine but I'm afraid it could
just fall
	into the multitude of ezines out there like some projects I've
seen.  It
	seems like the focus right now is on a dedicated infrastructure
for a
	magazine that doesn't exist yet.  I for one would worry less
about that and
	more about the whole magazine issue itself.  I don't think it's
set in yet
	about how much work goes into producing a magazine.  I think the
more
	logical step would be to build a team and actually see if you
can pull off
	producing a few issues and then break off to it's own website
once it's
	established.  I've seen more than a few ezine projects die after
an issue or
	two and it seems like a huge waste in man-hours to set up
everything before
	that.  Start it off with FWN and then worry about the rest
later.

	-------
	Brandon Jasper, CTN2(SS)
	NSSC Bangor N621 Afloat LAN Admin.
	SIPRNET: brandon.jasper at navy.smil.mil

I have already run a few local print newspapers, so I know the workload
and how it all goes. An online magazine would be slightly easier because
I don't need to worry about the printing deadlines.
--------------

I don't see how the lack of a printing deadline would make any
difference as there is still a posting deadline which all things
considered is still a deadline to meet.  It would stand to reason that
not meeting the schedule people expect things to be published by would
only serve to hurt the credibility of the publication.  That aside I
still retain the opinion that a few issues should be published before
creating the administration overhead of setting up a server for it.
It's like committing to sailing around the world before you make sure
your ship can float on it's own.

-------
SIPRNET: brandon.jasper at navy.smil.mil