Wiki localization: patch wiki, or work with current tools ?

Samuel Bizien samuel-bizien at club-internet.fr
Wed Jun 27 10:39:10 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 27 juin 2007 à 12:15 +0300, Ville-Pekka Vainio a écrit :
> Samuel Bizien kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 27. kesäkuu 2007
> 11:40:48):
> > The goal is to make easier for user to find the localized version of the
> > page he is reading (in english, most of time). We've set up a wikipage
> > to see how we could manage it manually:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Wikipages
> > But it would be quite long to manage it this way.
> >
> > So, is it possible to manage it automatically ? Is it easier to patch
> > wiki or to maintain these pages ?
> > I've heard (from Ville-Pekka Vainio) that this is a feature that mayBut
> > appear in next version of moinmoin wiki. Could we patch our moinmoin
> > wiki from development version ?
>
> I had a chat about this on #moin-dev yesterday evening. The Moin multilang
> implementation works as wikifarms, so that you have en.wiki.tld, de.wiki.tld
> etc. and it links the same pages in those wikis together. This also means
> that you need to have the same page names in all wikis, so they can't be
> localized.
>
> An example of Moin multilang is at http://en.test.wikiwikiweb.de/TestWiki (de,
> en, fr in the top menu). It seems this is not the best option for Fedora
> Wiki, what do you think?
Well ... i don't think it's the best solution, you're right.
And thanks for the exaplanation about wikifarms (i searched on internet,
and found nothing yesterday).

> I actually like the examples you have set up. It seems Wikipedia uses bots to
> manage the lists of translations, maybe same kind of bots could be written
> for Moin?
Can the infrastructure do that ?

Maybe it could help to know that we (in french team) include the
original page name in our pages (the first line, commented). See, for
example, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/fr_FR/Infrastructure?action=raw .
If this was done for each translated pages, maybe it could be a way to
identify all translations of a page.

And, anyway, if we decide to use bots, we can start using subpages,
until bots are coded.

Samuel.