PackageDB 0.1.92 and Roadmap

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:23:27 UTC 2007

Hey guys,

I've put together 0.1.92 of the PackageDB.  0.2 is just around the
corner.  Look at the present work here:
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/

The front page details the tasks that need to be accomplished before the
Go Live date.  If you want to help out with any of this, I'd be happy to
hear from you as I've started doing some consulting which took up way
too much of my time this week :-(.

      * Within the web app
              * Ability to add or subtract cvsextras access to your
                package: This will be a general group feature later. For
                now we just need cvsextras +/- to match the present ACL
                system. (*) This is the last feature before 0.2
              * Notification that people have requested acls: package
                owner and people on approveacls
              * Notification of owner changes: cvsadmin group?  FESCo?
              * Hide checkout and build perms
      * External scripts
              * How to add a new package: Must be done pre-cvs-import so
                we should tie this into dgilmore's scripts on cvs-int.
              * Current sync of owners.list/owners.epel.list: Have to
                update slightly to account for the new owners.list
                format
              * Sync to Package ACLs
              * Output ACLs to the system
              * Output entries to bugzilla

The plan is to get 0.2 done over the weekend.  Hiding the build and
checkout perms should be pretty to accomplish in the pkgpage.js init()
function.  Then the GUI through the database layers will be done enough
to release.

Notification is probably best done using TurboMail in the web app but
that's an area that can be explored.

Adding the new package: someone needs to coordinate with dgilmore about
adding things to the branch script.

Syncing of owners.list has a lot of work done since I had to import the
data in the first place.  Some changes have occurred since the script
was written, though.  So we need to update.  notting has a similar
script that we might be able to use.

notting already has code that deals with ACLs (both in and out) as he
currently has to parse the individual acl files from cvs and push them
into the cvs acl file.  I haven't looked at it but he thinks most of it
will be applicable to the packagedb.

Output to bugzilla is currently handled via cron using a script that
sopwith wrote.  I believe the code lives in fedora-accounts but I'm not
sure where the live script is.  It would be nice to move away from cron
and make changes to bugzilla as they occur in the packagedb but we
probably want a "sync everything in packagedb to bugzilla" as a way of
ensuring packagedb and bugzilla agree so moving away from cron might be
a project for later.

Note that the front page lists a lot of additional work that could be
done to make the package db better.  Some of those will make a huge
difference usability wise but for me to get to them requires making it
through the things that have to be there for us to replace owners.list.
If someone else wants to dig into those now let me know.

-Toshio