Configuration Management SCM

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Mar 12 05:04:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 20:36 -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2007, at 8:19 PM, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>
> > One thing that has really bothered me lately about SVN is the lack of
> > merge tracking.
>
> It's coming -- either in 1.5 or 1.6.
>
> Until then, svnmerge.py is a very good add-on for managing branches,
> 	http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py

Yes, I've used it before.  It's a useful tool if you are doing a lot of
branching/merging in SVN (and can't switch to something else or can't
wait for a version of SVN that supports merge tracking).  Unfortunately,
since it's not "built in" to SVN it either doesn't get used by a project
or doesn't get used consistently (or correctly) by the developers. Also,
since it's not built in, I doubt that there is support for it in other
tools, for example gitk (for git) or hgk (for hg) can give you a
graphical display of the merge history.

My point is, that since we're starting this code repository from
scratch, let's start with a SCM that already supports merge tracking
natively.

Jeff