puppet and our test boxes

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 20:39:46 UTC 2007

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 09:23 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> I'm going to have all of our publictest and test boxes use puppet with
>> the 'global' template.  This will keep them in sync with FAS, SNMP,
>> syslog, all that good stuff.  Any objections?
>>

> Sounds good.  Will puppet allow us to see what's been changed from the
> baseline config as well?  So that it's easier to tell what things we
> need to take with us when we migrate a service from testing to
> production?
>
> -Toshio
Yeah, on first run it logs to syslog.  In addition it makes a backup of
any file it replaces and stores the file on the puppet server.  One
interesting thing to note is package and service requirements.  Lets say
I need to deploy nrpe and nagios-plugins on a box so I can monitor it.
If I say that /etc/nrpe.cfg requires nrpe to be installed and running
and that it requires nagios-plugins-disk (to monitor the disk) it will
automatically install them and start them.  Which, if used properly, is
a very nice feature.