Disk space requirements

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Mar 24 14:58:37 UTC 2007

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 12:36:20AM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
>
>>> so we're already expecting mirrors to carry ~25GB per arch per release
>>> or thereabouts.
>>>
>>> If we continue with 3 arches, 2 releases per year, that's at least 150GB
>>> per year growth.  If we add arches, Unity respins, more CD/DVD objects,
>>> and the like, it'll grow faster.
>>>
>> That's why my eyes popped out of my eye sockets at fudcon. It's irrational
>> and impractical to keep permuting the distribution. Also, when can previous
>> releases be removed? That would be nice to know.
>>

> I'm in favor of creating an archive.fp.o server to hold the
> "historical" releases (e.g. everything no longer supported, so real
> soon now, FC5 and earlier) and nuke those from the master.  We could
> decide to keep N-3 (e.g. one extra no-longer-supported release on the
> master if we wanted to.
>
> IANAL, but the GPL is satisfied as long as we post source for the same
> time span as we post the binaries.  The "three year" clause
> only kicks in if we don't distribute the source at the same time but
> instead give a written offer - which we don't do.

We need to find out what we're expected to keep, if you include our
dists + 3 years and koji + backups we're talking about some very serious
space.  If we don't have to keep it, we shouldn't be.  I'll start up a
thread on FAB and see if anyone there is more in tune with the GPL.

As for the mirrors, what are they obligated to take and what can they pick?