Distributing static content

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jeremy at linuxwiz.net
Fri May 25 14:56:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Mike McGrath wrote:
> 4. rsync via ssh keys or rsync server (I'm currently leaning towards this)
>
> We've got a whole pool of sysadmins on this list.  How do you deal with these
> issues in your current environments?

Across a pool of web servers in a cluster, we use rsync over SSH to
keep content "in sync".  When changes are made on the "master", it
takes a few moments for the other nodes to get the changes, but that
hasn't caused any issues.  rsync is initiated on the "non-master"
nodes and the only time we have a problem is if the "master" isn't
available (down for reboot, etc.) -- even that doesn't cause any real
problems, just results in an e-mail since the script called from
crontab generates output in the event of errors; otherwise, it's
silent.

We're very happy with this method, it has proven to be reliable and
scalable in our environment.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis