Mirror Manager Backup

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Nov 9 13:43:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 22:57 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 21:52 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Warren Togami wrote:
> > > Just a quick thought after tonight's outage.
> > >
> > > If *everything* is down, the most important thing to have up is the
> > > mirrormanager since all of our users depend on it on a regular basis.
> >
> > Mirrormanager is perfectly designed in this respect.  Long story short,
> > everything that has anything to do with distribution needs to not be in
> > a Red Hat colo.  Certainly not as the SPOF.  This will require a few
> > external pieces (including a backup vpn server, which openVPN makes
> > pretty easy to do).
>
> The infrastructure we need to support:
[snip]
> Does that sound right?

That seems like a reasonable list.  The other thing to keep in mind,
though, is that some things can be lower on the list for trying to
duplicate.  eg, if the colo is down, the fact that a lot of the
developer infrastructure is down is fairly acceptable I think.

Now if the colo is down because a hole opened in the earth and the DC
has fallen to the center of the earth, then it's another question.  But
then we're talking substantial disaster recovery and not just avoiding
SPOF for our users during colo downtimes

Jeremy