Fedora 9 - A release preview

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 21:55:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 15:35 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 15:03 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> >> 8) Move hosted out of PHX and on to new server beach systems.  This will
> >> likely include creating a new "hosted" group.
> >
> > Somewhat related is that it'd be good to build up new machines per-SCM
> > as opposed to the current fun with chroots on cvs.fedoraproject.org.  I
> > should get back to the work I started for replacing
> > git.fedoraproject.org as a first one to tackle
>
> That's something worth talking about.  As it is we run hg, mercurial and
> git in the same chroot (we're not looking to go with another chroot) but
> I think we could just run it on the machine, there's a script + ssh_key
> setup in those chroots for security.

They could all share the same machine, it just makes the apache config
more painful.  Running them on separate machines[1] also gives us nice
isolation and lets us upgrade each on its own as makes sense for it.  It
would also make it so that we could do things like enabling the
cvspserver frontend to git.  I'm not really sold much one way or the
other, though.

I don't think that we want to run it on the same machine as the hosted
frontend, though.

> I think they'd be just as
> affective out of a chroot on the hosted boxes.  I also wouldn't mind
> moving the locations from:
>
> git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/fedora-infrastructure.git/
> git://git.fedoraproject.org/fedora-infrastructure.git/

You should be able to at least do 'git clone
git://git.fedoraproject.org/hosted/fedora-infrastructure.git' now.  But
if you're pulling over ssh, the additional /git is necessary due to the
fact that you're ssh'ing and looking at the paths on the filesystem

Jeremy

[1] Separate virtual machines