Restart TG apps for high mem-usage

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:59:44 UTC 2007

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25, 2007 at 09:08:30PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> +1, but does it make sure all transactions are finished?  I know smolt
>>> does not have good transaction protection.  If a transaction fails
>>> halfway through, we might have a mess.
>>>
>> Not if the app doesn't.  From a brief test, TG apps do not do this.
>
> MirrorManager doesn't use transactions, I never figured out how to get
> them to work right.  Advice welcome.

By not being able to get transactions working, do you mean explicit
transactions or implicit transactions?  I see that mirrormanager, bodhi,
  and noc (not running currently) are using a dburi that disables
implicit transactions::
   mirrormanager-prod.cfg.erb:
     sqlobject.dburi="notrans_postgres://mirroradmin:
     <%= mirrorPassword %>@db2.fedora.phx.redhat.com/mirrormanager"

If that was changed to::
   sqlobject.dburi="postgres://mirroradmin:[...]

TurboGears would at least attempt to use an implicit transaction per
http request which should protect the database from shutting down the
application in the middle of processing a multi-table update.  I don't
know if that's the problem you're referring to, though.

-Toshio