VCS choice status

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 18:44:21 UTC 2007

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> Apologies for dropping off the radar for the past few weeks, but things
> at work got busier rather than slacking off after the semester started
> (I got assigned several new high-priority projects - such is life when
> working in an understaffed IT shop) and I vastly underestimated how busy
> things would be in the evenings and weekends shuttling my kids back and
> forth to various activities.
>
> Anyway, things still are very busy with non-Fedora related stuff, but I
> thought that I owed it to the community to post this and get the
> discussion started again.
>
> It was my impression that there was very little consensus on what (if
> anything) should be done.  There seemed to be three camps:
>
> 1) Stick with CVS as is.
> 2) Switch to another VCS, but the data in the repository would remain
> similar to what we currently use (RPM spec plus patches).
> 3) Switch to another VCS, but the data in the repository would radically
> change to an "expanded source" style repository.
>
> All three camps have vocal proponents as well as vocal opponents.  My
> suspicion is that the "silent majority" is in the "stick with CVS" camp.
>
> My personal choice would be to switch to Git for the VCS but keep the
> repository data the same (spec file plus patches).  I feel that
> switching to expanded source-style repositories is too radical of a
> change - we give up the notion of pristine source plus patches.  Also,
> using an expanded source-style repository would mean that packagers
> would have to become much more familiar with the VCS since they would
> need to maintain various branches (vendor branch, branches for various
> patches).

I don't like git particularly but I could see us going somewhere on this
route.  It's where we started three or four releases ago :-)

I would like to see the "optionally keep an expanded tree" work that you
were working on included in this.  That could probably be added on after
the fact, though.

-Toshio