git on fedorapeople.org

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat Oct 20 03:32:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:09:21PM -0700, John Poelstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to setup a git repo under my fedorapeople.org account that
> anyone can have RO access while providing me RW.
>
> I am familiar with setting up git in a local environment, but unclear
> how and what to configure to make it work in this environment whereby
> anyone can clone or view it (i'm guessing over http) and I can commit to
> it (I'm guessing via ssh)?

yes exactly.  It does not appear that a git server daemon is running
on that service, but http should suffice for many projects.

> IOW where should the git directory be?  Do I create a symlink from it to
> html_public? etc.

in ~/public_html/ you can make your bare clone, so you have say:

git clone --bare git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/hosted/mirrormanager
which creates ~/public_html/mirrormanager.git
which is only the .git directory, or you can drop the --bare and get a
fully checked out repo at ~/public_html/mirrormanager/

Then run: git-update-server-info  there to be sure it'll be accessible
via http.

Thanks,
Matt

--