How about having a graphical mirror list?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Oct 28 15:26:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 08:30:32PM +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just this idea came into my mind.
>
> How about getting a graphical mirror list instead of or in parallel
> with plane text  mirror list at
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/7/ ?
> Like this one?
> http://mmcgrath.livejournal.com/8797.html
>
> We can have different color schemes for different releases.
>
> That should be help human users to select a closer mirror. Because
> people usually select from a first few mirrors instead of scrolling
> down to their country. (at least I do :) )

One addition that will come in Fedora 9 (I don't think it made it into
F8 but I could be wrong) is that anaconda, the installer, will be able
to use the mirrorlist directly.  This will avoid the user having to
type in a URL for their country at all - it will be automagic based on
GeoIP, just like the updates are.

> And a question to Mike, was that picture auto generated or generated by hand?

Jef Spaleta and Jima have been working on auto-generating these maps.
http://fedoraproject.org/maps/ for examples.  There's code in the
Fedora admin git tree for them.

Thanks,
Matt