cvs: Permission denied (publickey).

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Aug 23 21:37:13 UTC 2008

2008/8/23 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 04:06:07PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>> 2008/8/23 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
>> >
>> > I saw that some people are using CVS again, so I tried as well, but I
>> > got:
>> >
>> > athimm at devel(1012):/home/.../smart/devel$ cvs up
>> > Permission denied (publickey).
>> > cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
>> >
>> > I have a new FAS password, all certs updated, I even checked the cvs
>> > procedures for newbies on fpo, but I had no luck. What am I doing
>> > wrong?
>>
>> Did you upload a new SSH public key?
>
> It won't let me:
>
> Error!
>
> The following error(s) have occured with your request:
>
>    * ssh_key: Error - Not a valid RSA SSH key: ssh-dss ...
>
> Have DSA keys now been banned?

Yes.

> Why?

The primary reason is that it's nearly impossible to tell if the key
was generated on a Debian system with the compromised OpenSSL
versions.  I've heard rumblings that DSA keys are weaker for other
reasons, but I've not seen any good explanations.

In any case, it's probably a good idea to regenerate your SSH keys
every now and then, I know I had been using mine FAR too long.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"