Please restore ssh-dsa (was: cvs: Permission denied (publickey).)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 15:34:36 UTC 2008

2008/8/24 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net>:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 04:37:13PM -0500, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

>> > It won't let me:
>> >
>> > Error!
>> >
>> > The following error(s) have occured with your request:
>> >
>> >    * ssh_key: Error - Not a valid RSA SSH key: ssh-dss ...
>> >
>> > Have DSA keys now been banned?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> > Why?
>>
>> The primary reason is that it's nearly impossible to tell if the key
>> was generated on a Debian system with the compromised OpenSSL
>> versions.
>
> That's overreacting. What happens if Gentoo makes a similar mistake
> with RSA keys, will we ban them, too? DSA is a decent technology.

No because RSA doesn't leak information into your public key nor does
it rely on the 'random' secret key to the same extent. Th

>> I've heard rumblings that DSA keys are weaker for other reasons, but
>> I've not seen any good explanations.
>
> Hearsay, your honour! On the contrary, I've heard that DSA gathers at
> 1024 bits at least as much entropy as RSA with 2048, and DSA was the
> recommended "new" algorithm half a decade ago. Currently RSA and DSA
> are equal up.

I take your hearsay, and counter with my hearsay that DSA will be
replaced next year with DSA2 which can use 4 bits of entropy and be as
secure as 4096 RSA.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux