fedora.org?

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 04:23:37 UTC 2008

2008/2/3 Anand Capur <admin at arcnetworks.biz>:
> On 2/3/08, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> instead

> > > Well, can't you do trademark claims with ICANN? I didn't literally mean
> "Get
> > > it back" since yeah, we never had it.
> > >

> > Nope, but without the "project" in fedora project, they could use it
> > against us.  I believe they existed before we did.
> >
> >         -Mike
>
> Even though we use "Fedora" as our OS name now?......We can't even get them
> for using it against the TLD terms since .org's uses are Nonprofits;
> personal sites; open-source projects;

Ugh, not this question again.  ICANN removed that restriction on
TLD's, so anyone can have a .com, org or a .net with impunity.  The
only restrictions are on .edu, .gov, and .XX where XX is your nation
code, plus other less oft used TLDs.

IANAL, but Fedora by itself is not a trademark.  Fedora doesn't even
have a perfect hold on the Fedora Project moniker either.  Google it
and you'll see what I mean.

Bottom line: Who cares.  Things like this are the hazards of having an
open and free internet.  Now quit clogging my tubes with this ;)

-Yaakov