nagios config for mirrorlist monitoring

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Feb 8 16:13:24 UTC 2008

I thought people here might be interested in my nagios config for
checking the output of the mirrorlist CGI.

----- Forwarded message from Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU> -----

From: Chuck Anderson <cra at WPI.EDU>
To: mirror-list-d at redhat.com
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 01:43:44 -0500
Subject: netblock mirror not showing up for Fedora 8

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:13:15PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> The MM hourly refresh had been taking >12 hours due to database
> slowness, which _hopefully_ now is resolved.  Will watch it closely
> over the next few days.
>
> I'll have to regen the pages manually right now.  The cronjobs seem to
> still be disabled even though they should have restarted by now...

My netblock mirror still isn't showing up for just the Fedora 8
updates and updates-testing repos, all archs.  Everything else is
coming up fine (Fedora 7 updates, Fedora 7 updates-testing, Rawhide,
Fedora 7 and 8 base releases).

These are the "bad" queries that don't return my netblock mirror:

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=i386
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=x86_64
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=ppc
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=ppc64

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-testing-f8&arch=i386
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-testing-f8&arch=x86_64
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-testing-f8&arch=ppc
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-testing-f8&arch=ppc64

I wrote a bit of nagios configuration that checks the mirrorlist
results.  Here are the checkcommands.cfg definitions:

# 'check_fedora_mirrorlist' command definition
#
# Checks Fedora Project's mirrorlist redirector for a specific mirror
# URL.
#
define command {
        command_name    check_fedora_mirrorlist
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u '/mirrorlist?repo=$ARG1$&arch=$ARG2$' -l -R '^$ARG3$'
}

# 'check_fedora_mirrorlist_netblock' command definition
#
# Checks Fedora Project's mirrorlist redirector for a specific mirror
# URL using a preferred netblock entry.  Ideally, this would check for
# the URL as the immediate next line after "Using preferred netblock"
# but I couldn't figure out how to embed a newline in the regex in the
# nagios config file.
#
define command {
        command_name    check_fedora_mirrorlist_netblock
        command_line    $USER1$/check_http -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -u '/mirrorlist?repo=$ARG1$&arch=$ARG2$' -l -R 'Using preferred netblock.*$ARG3$'
}

And here is how you use it in the hosts.cfg file (netblock check):

#
# Fedora mirrorlist service
#
define host {
	host_name			mirrors.fedoraproject.org
	parents				internet
	use				generic-host
	alias				mirrors.fedoraproject.org
	address				mirrors.fedoraproject.org
}
#
# Fedora 8 updates-released
#
define service {
	host_name			mirrors.fedoraproject.org
	use				generic-service
	service_description		updates-released-f8 i386
	check_command			check_fedora_mirrorlist_netblock!updates-released-f8!i386!http://download.wpi.edu/pub/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386
}

--

----- End forwarded message -----