Fedora Search

Jonathan Steffan jonathansteffan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 20:51:56 UTC 2008

Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> Jonathan Steffan wrote:
>> I have. I'd recommend using datapark search[1]. There is also the
>> xapian[2] but it will need a robot to do the crawling (it has the Omega
>> indexer, but that is designed for local data.) I've got some python code
>> started, but it's not ready for production. htdig can be used to feed
>> data to xapian, so if we do go the route of htdig[3], I'd recommend
>> feeding the htdig data to the xapian framework[4] otherwise we'd need to
>> run Omega on any system that has data and it wont index data that needs
>> to be rendered.
>
> I'm not sure if this is something that would affect the situation, but Moin
> 1.6 apparently has Xapian integration. So if Xapian is used in one way or
> another, we could maybe get better search results from the wiki as well. I've
> never used Xapian (with or without Moin) though, so I don't have any
> experience on it.

Yes, Moin is able to use Xapian for searching. It should be somewhat
easy to export and merge Xapian data from Moin into a larger search
system. It might also be quicker to index data "internally" (read: just
have Moin index itself) rather then asking Moin to render pages for an
external indexer to read.

--
Jonathan Steffan
daMaestro