YUM security issues...

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 16:35:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Matt Domsch wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:43:59AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > More like taking over a subnet and directing all clients at a rouge
> > > mirror.
> >
> > <nod> that makes more sense.  Domsch?
>
> Yes, this is a known challenge with subnet delegation in
> MirrorManager.  We're trusting package signing (and soon, repodata
> signing) to prevent rogue mirrors from issuing unsigned data.  In
> addition, I'm working on adding in a way to prevent stale mirrors
> (with signed content) from being used.

Perhaps it might also be a good idea to add a comment to the default
yum.conf for gpgcheck explaining what a bad idea it is to set to 0.  I
could imagine people setting it to 0 not understanding what
they're doing.  Especially if they're familiar with gpg's encryption bits,
but not its signing functionality.