Email aliases and new cvs requests

Xavier Lamien laxathom at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 27 20:53:23 UTC 2008

2008/7/27 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>

> Hi guys,
>
> Last week Seth implemented email aliases for the people who should be
> notified of changes to packages.  I used this new functionality to have
> getnotifylist, which looks up who to notify on cvs commits, stop querying
> the pkgdb directly (a slow operation with multiple points where it could
> fail) and instead just construct the alias from the packagename.
>
> This works well except for one case:  When a new package is created, the
>  alias for the package does not yet exist.  This means that when someone
> makes the initial branch for a package they get a bounce message because we
> were unable to send to the non-existent email address.
>
> I think the solution is going to have to be that the pkgdb has to do the
> branching.  Or, at least, the pkgdb is going to need to know which packages
> need branching and cvs-int will have to query for those with a cron job and
> perform the action.  That way the new package can be added to the pkgdb
> along with a branch request.  The packagedb will record the new package and
> add the need for cvs branches to a queue.  The packagedb will take the
> branch request through various stages until it is done.
>
> Here's my idea for stages:
>
> 1) Request for new package with new branch is added to the packagedb.

+ email is sent to the related mailling list to notify that.

> 2) Request is marked approved by an admin
> 3) Packagedb create the record for the package
> 4) Packagedb waits for the email alias to be created (currently, the
> packagedb doesn't know for sure that the alias has been created... we'll
> just wait an appropriate length of time.  If this proves problematic we can
> create a URL that records that aliases has been created that is only
> authorized to certain users.)
> 5) Packagedb records that the package is ready to be branched.
> 6) cvs-int has a cron job that queries for packages to branch, branches
> them, and then records that they have been created.

Sound a nice plan/procedure.
By the way, Why don't make Packagedb able to run cvs-int with related
arguments ?
(this will avoid to have cvs-int check when there are no packages to branch)

> If anyone can think of a better way to solve this, please let me know. I'll
> start work on this about the middle of next week.

I'm really interesting by this task.

--
Xavier.t Lamien