sub-optimal torrent for F9 Snapshot 1

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sun Mar 30 08:33:26 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> I'm finding trying to get Friday's snapshot of Fedora 9 to be very
> sub-optimal... 62 hours estimated to go after already timing out once.
> I've got two peers and one seed :(  I'll probably get it by time the
> next snapshot is ready :)
>
> Is this happening to others?

Not happening here, I'm adding another seed to the swarm - I see it's
already uploading more then it's downloading, while it is still downloading.

> Is this really a viable way to put out *weekly* snapshots?

No. ;-)

> Is hosting jigdo templates a possibility?  In my situation it would work
> well because I mirror the rawhide trees locally--yes I realize this begs
> the question of why I need the snapshot if I already mirror rawhide, but
> I'm curious if it fails to install for me just as rawhide has for the
> past three days.

The snapshots (torrent ISO images) should have an updates.img which
should make them installable.

Jigdo is a possibility in distributing the snapshots, but the downside
is that at least one party, and preferably more then one, will need to
keep hosting the slices; while on day 0 all slices are (or should be) in
rawhide, on day 1 some packages might have been updated again and are
thus not available anymore -unless some party keeps hosting the entire
tree such as Fedora Unity does with their Re-Spins; 4 mirrors keep
hosting all slices that come from the updates/ repository for as long as
the Re-Spin is offered for downloading.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip