Rolling out kojipkgs url for koji repodata

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed May 14 17:50:26 UTC 2008

In order to reduce the load on the koji hub, we've recently brought up a
new http host that serves out the /mnt/koji/packages/ content.
Currently when koji builders build repodata they hard code the baseurl
of 'http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages'.  This means that every
builder and every static-repo user will hit the hub to download
packages.  Instead we'd like them to hit the new host, kojipkgs.  A
simple change to kojid.conf files on the builders will make the new
baseurl be 'http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages'.  Any repodata
made after that change (and builder restart) will have the new url.  The
old url will continue to work for the old repodata, but the amount of
systems hitting it should reduce over time.

I'm ready to commit the change to puppet, and once we're sure a puppet
run has gone through and updated the files I can start a rolling restart
of the builders.  The process would look like this:

1) koji disable-host <all the hosts>
2) as each host finishes it's current task, log in and restart the kojid
service.
3) koji enable-host <each host after restart>

The final step would be to watch for a newRepo task and verify that the
generated repodata has the correct url, and that said repodata is usable
by builders and by consumers of static-repos.  If there is a failure the
rollback plan would be much like above, only including a rollback to the
previous URL listed in kojid configs.

Is there any objection to me committing the puppet change, making it
live and starting on the rolling process?  There should be no overall
outage to send mail about, service will remain uninterrupted.
--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!