Thank You Mirrors!

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri May 16 14:32:16 UTC 2008

Blogged this morning: http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/05/16/fedora-9-released-thank-you-mirrors.aspx

Just a quick shout out to all of the great Fedora public mirrors
worldwide.  Tuesday's release of Fedora 9 was the smoothest yet from a
Fedora Infrastructure POV - no switch meltdowns, no datacenters
knocked offline, and few gripes about slow downloads from the forums
I've read.

In the first two days, over 107,000 users downloaded CD or DVD images
from our mirror system, more than double that of the 48,000 BitTorrent
downloaders.  Our mirrors served those bits at a combined 67
Gigabits/sec.  Of those who downloaded Fedora 9, more than  44,000
have already installed in these two days, evidenced by their systems
checking for updates.  So we know it's being put to good use.

Thanks to all our  great volunteer mirror admins, and their sponsoring
Universities and companies, for making this release a success.  Your
contribution to Fedora, and Free and Open Source Software, is
appreciated by users around the globe.

I also want to say Thanks to Adrian Reber, who has stepped up as a
great Mirror Wrangler, accepting new mirrors and helping many get
started.  I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler