Hosting Linux Fest Northwest Videos on torrent

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat May 3 14:36:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Matt Domsch wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 08:53:06PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 May 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> > > A team of folks took videos of various talks at Linux Fest Northwest.
> > > They want to offer direct downloads as an alternative to the flash based
> > > streams available at ustream.tv.  I have tentatively offered (with
> > > stated caveat that Infrastructure had to approve) hosting space on the/a
> > > torrent server for these videos.
> > >
> > > I don't yet have an estimate on the total size, but there are 12~
> > > videos, all somewhere around an hour in length.  It may be a while yet
> > > before they're all re-encoded into our preferred format (.ogg) but I
> > > wanted to get the ball rolling here.
> > >
> > > Is this something Fedora (Infrastructure) would be willing to provide?
> >
> > So the question is does Fedora offer hosting space for linux conventions
> > and things not directly related to Fedora?  I'd be curious to hear what
> > others say.
>
> In general, I would love it if we could.  I don't believe we have the
> resources in place today to be able to do so effectively.
>
> In my mind, we need:
> 1) additional people in the infrastructure team to help with the admin
>    side of this.
>
> 1a) there's a need for existing infrastructure team members to serve
>     as sponsors/mentors.  I'm sorry I haven't had the time to do more
>     of this lately.
>
> 2) an assessment of the real compute/storage/bandwidth needs for this
>    idea.  We're notoriously bad at estimating the amount of storage a
>    given idea will actually need in production.
>
> 3) significant donations (cash, equipment, hosting, ...) to realize
>    these needs.

I'm hoping to get a big 3) that will help with 2) in the not too distant
future.  What I had envisioned (if we can get it) is a 3 tier distribution
system.

1) the primary content on our primary mirror.  This will typically be
DIRECTLY related to Fedora the OS or EPEL.

2) Secondary content.  This would be a place for us to re-distribute the
hosted tarballs, spins, videos, etc.  This is all that value-added stuff
that will behave just as our primary mirror (with a series of other
mirrors grabbing content)

3) archives.  Far less expensive then the first 2 but does have a lot of
storage requirements.

As of this morning we actually have 1 and 3[1] taken care of.  I'm hopeful
2 will be more visible in the next couple of months though, since it is a
donation, I don't want to start making changes and things in case it falls
through.

I didn't really have a mirrormanager plan for 2 yet though..  mdomsch, any
ideas?