Hosting Linux Fest Northwest Videos on torrent

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat May 3 15:57:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 09:36:59AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008, Matt Domsch wrote:
> >
> > In my mind, we need:
> > 1) additional people in the infrastructure team to help with the admin
> >    side of this.
> >
> > 1a) there's a need for existing infrastructure team members to serve
> >     as sponsors/mentors.  I'm sorry I haven't had the time to do more
> >     of this lately.
> >
> > 2) an assessment of the real compute/storage/bandwidth needs for this
> >    idea.  We're notoriously bad at estimating the amount of storage a
> >    given idea will actually need in production.
> >
> > 3) significant donations (cash, equipment, hosting, ...) to realize
> >    these needs.
> >

> I'm hoping to get a big 3) that will help with 2) in the not too distant
> future.  What I had envisioned (if we can get it) is a 3 tier distribution
> system.
>
> 1) the primary content on our primary mirror.  This will typically be
> DIRECTLY related to Fedora the OS or EPEL.
>
> 2) Secondary content.  This would be a place for us to re-distribute the
> hosted tarballs, spins, videos, etc.  This is all that value-added stuff
> that will behave just as our primary mirror (with a series of other
> mirrors grabbing content)
>
> 3) archives.  Far less expensive then the first 2 but does have a lot of
> storage requirements.
>
> As of this morning we actually have 1 and 3[1] taken care of.  I'm hopeful
> 2 will be more visible in the next couple of months though, since it is a
> donation, I don't want to start making changes and things in case it falls
> through.
>
> I didn't really have a mirrormanager plan for 2 yet though..  mdomsch, any
> ideas?

secondary.fp.o is up and config'd in mirrormanager now.  So
download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/ directs as
you would expect.  We can do likewise for other such content, no
problem. Just have separate rsync modules, and an intentional separate
path (e.g. /pub/something) for each, and MM will be fine.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux