user-added planet script

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Fri May 9 06:43:45 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> I'm inclined to the former. So a user could just have a .planet file
> that has:
>
> [http://skvidal.wordpress.com/feed/]
> name = Seth Vidal
> face = http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/skvidal.png
>

> which I could read in using configparser, throw out errors about any
> duplicates and also balk if someone tries to over [Planet] or something
> like that.
>
> so, I wanted some feedback on what people thought would be the better
> choice.

I have some more questions about the policy:

- is someone allowed to put more than one feed? Like his blog and a foto
gallery or his personal blog and the news feed from a local Fedora
community site. Of course one can aggregate his own multiple feeds into
single one and use that aggregated feed (for example using Google
Reader, and we can provide a short documentation about doing so). OTOH,
technically one can put more entries in one .planet file and it should
be parsed correctly;

- I assume you plan a check of those .planet files against malicious
use, so they have only the allowed entries (and not, for example, values
that override the defaults, like the output directory, template
locations or whatever);

- not sure if this is worth pursuing, but I found gregdek's idea [1]
interesting: use hackergotchis to create a set of stickers. Here is the
issue of people wanting/not wanting their images to be used and the
license of the submitted images.

[1] - http://gregdek.livejournal.com/26387.html