download problem

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Thu May 15 10:04:51 UTC 2008

subhodip biswas wrote:
> hi !
> while trying to download F9 what I face is quite frustrating ..in fact
> this can be faced by a lot of user in India .
> while  wbut mirror is down (temporarily ) and other cannot handle all
> the load and bit torrent is quite slow .
> clicking on i386 direct download always gives error 412 : too many
> connected users .
> any way of avoiding this .. I am currently downloading from a mirror
> in USA and its quite slow.

Hi,

Going from what I know (someone might want to update me here):
We currently only have 3 mirrors in India
(http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/), one is on a 45mbps link, while the
other two are on 5mbps and 2mbps links.

 From what I see, there isn't really much we can do apart from waiting
for more Indian mirrors to come aboard, ISPs/Universities are the best
bet and is actually where quite a few of our mirrors are located.

Another alternative is try an Asian or Europe mirror, China, Japan,
Italy, France etc, many of these mirrors are on 100Mbps+ links and
shouldn't be returning 421 errors. (I have no clue on the Indian
internet topology but generally geographically closer locations have
better links)

Noting the 421 errors, it's fairly hard to prevent them, the script (as
Matt mentioned on IRC) could be adapted to query the server if there are
slots open but thats not always possible.

- N.J.

Amendment:  I noticed the two slower mirrors only allow ftp, try
http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/fedora/ which is the server on the 45Mbps link and
responds to me in NZ.