Some architectural changes

Bret McMillan bretm at redhat.com
Wed Oct 8 13:46:56 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:

> Well, app1+ are now all identical, for the most part.  This allows us to
> think of our app servers as truly being part of a farm.  The exception to
> this right now is those apps requiring our nfs mount in PHX.  I'm still
> debating what to do about this but so far haven't really come up with a
> good answer.

2 choices come to mind:

1) accept that they're a different category, and partition them accordingly

2) could maybe tinker around w/ some things like MogileFS or HDFS or
something even crazier :)

> We'll be distributing load with haproxy.  Just because an app is on a
> server doesn't mean that it will get hit.  This allows us to distribute
> load intelligently and hopefully allow us to get local proxies preferring
> local app servers so geoIP dns can be deployed.

Do all apps get deployed to all servers in this category?

> The bapp servers (there's only 1 right now) will be our job control
> servers.  Right now we kind of just have cron jobs spread all over the
> place and in some instances this has caused problems with production
> traffic.

Cool.  How many bapp servers are we running these days, and how do we
choose what gets run where?

--Bret