More puppet training!

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 8 16:52:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 11:49 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Seth Vidal wrote:

> > > Are the old seminars up somewhere? My whole look at puppet is from
> > > 30k. I know more about cfengine .. which has made me look at some of
> > > the 'limitations' of puppet as 'huh?' versus purposeful design
> > > decisions. Heck I don't even know how to make a root password across a
> > > cluster :).
> >

> > don't feel bad, no one else does, either.
> >
> > Not without leaving the crypted password all over the logs.
> >
> > Well, to be fair, there's a way to do it, it's just hurky and feels
> > silly.
> >

> I was kind of irked about that too.  I'm going to file a ticket to make
> sure this gets handled.  Really I guess it'd be nice to have a
>
> logDiff => false
>
> option where it'd at least let you know something happened but not what if
> it was explicitly listed.  There's other uses for this besides just root
> passwords.

The way I worked out to do it is a bit silly but you put the crypted
password in a file somewhere in /etc or /root

and you just have that file in config_files or private (or as a
template) and then a cron job goes through and takes that value and sets
it in /etc/shadow using lpasswd or chpasswd

not pretty but it will keep the crypted pw from showing up in a log
-sv